Tuesday 25 February 2014

On Reminiscing

As I tossed and turned in bed last night trying to get to sleep,  I had a very strange feeling. I imagined myself back as a jc student, preparing to sleep to wake up to a new day at school. It seemed so plausible, and in that moment it's almost possible to forget the fact that so many years have passed. I could picture myself waking up, washing up,  putting my school uniform on and getting ready for school. It made me ponder about how the length of experiences in life are all a matter of how our mind perceives them. If I suffered amnesia,  I could easily believe I was still indeed a 17 year-old student.

Many inspirational self-help articles often teach us not to dwell on the past or live in the future,  but I feel that reminiscing the past is important. I realized it's something I did a lot in the past but hardly think of anymore. I've become too preoccupied with troubles of the present,  and a little numb to the passing of time. Is that what people feel after they've been working for a few years? Grasping onto nostalgia may make one feel a little empty about the time gone by, but it also reminds ourselves about how much things have changed our how some people may have left our lives. And from these changes,  the lessons we have learnt. Reminiscing also reminds me to be thankful for all the good memories that I have been so privileged to have experienced. 

I read this meaningful article,  and really liked and agreed with this quote -

"In the end, loving your life is about trusting your intuition, taking chances, losing and finding happiness, cherishing the memories, and learning through experience. It’s a long-term journey. You have to stop worrying, wondering, and doubting every step of the way. Laugh at the confusion, live consciously in the moment, and enjoy your life as it unfolds. You might not end up exactly where you intended to go, but you will eventually arrive precisely where you need to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment