Sunday 30 May 2010

it's my daddy's birthday today! :) took time off studying and our family went for lunch at jp's kui shin bo..my treat! hehe..was happy to see daddy enjoying all his seafood (as usual), especially his crabs!

sometimes it's really nice that your loved ones have specific, explicit likings & interests..that you can cater for to make them happy in such a straightforward way..

i guess it's what i like in animals (and children i guess) too..they make it apparent what makes them happy and what does not..makes me wanna do the things that make them happy all the time!

was reminded that my parents are getting older year by year, when at the cashier said there was a 10% discount for senior citizens (i.e. 55 yrs and above)..and my mummy said my daddy just turned 55 today. it didn't strike me that he was in his mid 50s..i see my same daddy everyday, the same daddy i've known since i was young, and to me he still looks the same (he doesn't have a single strand of white hair i think it runs in the family!)..i don't want my parents to ever grow old.. :(

on another topic, my research on my potential pet bird has led me from breeder to breeder, from one species to another..i originally was looking at baby lovebirds..but soon i realised i don't actually want another lovebird..i don't want sunsun to feel replaced by a tamer bird of her own kind..

then i contacted breeders of parrotlets (super small parrots, smaller than lovebirds)..but they were all sold already..

and eventually, i was led to a bird called a 'sun conure', that i never really considered and knew about before! it's more pricey, but i guess it's cos they're slightly bigger (12 inches head to tail) and have a longer lifespan of up to 30 years..

this is what it looks like!

i know people who are scared of birds will probably not think very much of it, but i think it's really pretty! showed pictures online to my parents and my mummy said she doesn't like the grey ring around their eyes! so choosy!

some facts that i've read up on sun conures..

  • a type of parrot
  • they're extremely affectionate and love attention (which appeals to me hehe)
  • they are capable of learning some tricks and to talk a little (not that much of my goal though)
  • they love to take baths (so cute!)
  • origin: south america (brazil to venezuela)
  • babies are not as colourful (as a defense mechanism) but full plumage starts to appear when the bird is around 1 yr old
  • relatively small for a parrot- 12 inches in length
  • average lifespan of 25- 30 years
  • rather big drawback: they have rather piercing and loud screeches!! which they use to call for your attention, usually in the mornings and evenings..i really hope this doesn't pose a problem to my neighbours!

so anyway, i've contact this home breeder (apparently he's quite known in the bird-breeding world..for one that he provides 'after-sale services')..he has 2 baby sun conures, 8 weeks old and still being hand-fed (which is impt if you want them tame)..and my parents and i are gonna drop by his house tmr evening to have a look at the bird! luckily he stays quite near so don't have to waste so much time travelling..cos must study!

could tell that my parents tried not to let their possible objections come in the way, after they knew how much i was disappointed by not being able to get a dog..and i'm glad that they're supportive of getting another pet bird for our family! daddy kept asking if the guy replied my sms..and suggested going down to his house to have a look..

looking forward to tmr and will update again on the status of my new pet bird seeking project!

back to STUDYINGGGG now :((((((((

No comments:

Post a Comment