Sunday 11 July 2010

day 1 in hong kong

it's 11.16pm now and i'm comfortably tucked under the comforter of my queen-sized hotel bed, with jazz music playing on the radio-clock in the background..just finished settling all the miscellaneous chores..like hanging up my work clothes, boiling water, brushing teeth etc.

the day turned out alright :) the 4 other people i flew with are quite nice and easy-going, so i'm quite glad. disappointed instead with myself for now seemingly the aloof one! my initial energy to strike up conversation topics and to know the rest better seemed to dissipate over time, as i just walked silently along the humid & hot streets of hk, occasionally joking around and snapping photos of the busy streets..

i don't know if it's due to the excess of high-rise concrete buildings which trap heat more easily and also obstruct the formation of any winds, but it was really sweltering hot, worse than singapore! passing by the air-conditioned entrances of shops provided a cooling respite each time! haha

j.p.m's push for diversity in its workforce is extremely apparent, i must admit. 5 of us from operations were booked on the same flight, and guess what, i'm the ONLY singaporean! there were 3 prcs, but all studied in various countries! 1 of them in singapore, another in canada, and another in sydney! the last guy is south korean who studied in sydney too. there were 2 of us girls; the other girl is super pretty, and is very blatant about her outspokeness and competitiveness. she's nice and unpretentious though, that's why i like about her. but i guess being in the same department as her when work starts might prove to be pressurising, given her aggressive nature?

very contented with the hotel room, very cozy, clean & comfortable, only that it's extremely crammed, hardly any walking space. had to literally lift my luggage over my bed to put it at one side of the room cos there's no rolling space! took photos of the room and the view outside, will probably upload tmr! feel the stress to sleep early tonight cos it's my first official day of work tmr, also the only day in the whole trip we have to wear the full business suit. don't wanna doze off like i did during the FIRST day of my internship!

to all my friends who encouraged me and tried to assuage my fears, thank you! i was particularly touched by chujie's e-card :) she actually tried to address each of my 7 worries listed in the blog post below! hehe..now that i've found that the other sg ops people are quite nice, half my worries are gone..hope tmr will be smooth-sailing! :) will update again tmr for those friends who are interested to know and who are concerned about me! :)

till tmr...............

No comments:

Post a Comment